Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Grads Schools for IPE?

The IPE faculty are frequently asked to recommend graduate schools for students who want to undertake further study in IPE or a related field. We always say that the right graduate school for you depends on what you want to study and where you want your graduate education to take you. So you need to think deeply about your interests and career aspirations and do a lot of research on grad schools.

Know thyself -- that's tough advice. But what's the best way to get starting trying to "know" about the options for graduate school? One approach is to visit the website for the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs (APSIA for short). This is an organization of the best grad programs in international affairs in the U.S. and around the world. This site won't tell you where you should study, but it gives you a useful starting menu of programs with an interdisciplinary approach and the expected links and contact information.

A couple of years ago we asked Matt Ferchen, an IPE graduate before there was an IPE program, to write down some of his thoughts about the best way to choose a graduate program. Click on the link to read his Guide to Choosing a Graduate Program. (Note: Matt did development fieldwork in Latin America after UPS, then a Masters degree at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies a.k.a. SAIS in Washington DC. He is now in China working on research for his PhD from Cornell.)

No comments: