Monday, February 01, 2010

Alumni Report: Leigh Barrick '09 in Honduras

Greetings from Honduras! After graduating from UPS last May, I enjoyed the summer in Portland before heading to Juticalpa, Honduras to work as a sixth grade teacher. Six months into my time here, I am really enjoying myself.

I work at a private K-12 bilingual school called Day-Star, which is owned by a couple originally from the United States. Day-Star fills as many teaching positions as possible with native English speakers. Having a college degree (and no teaching certification) is sufficient qualification to be a teacher in Honduras. I teach nearly every subject during the day for a class of twenty six students.

During the last six months, I have learned why school teachers are always drinking coffee. Teaching is hard work! The kids at Day-Star have a reputation for being rowdy, so I focus as much on crowd control as I do on teaching some days. Yet despite these challenges, overall I think I have a great job. I enjoy being creative with my lesson plans and it’s a lot of fun to be with kids all day.

Living in a small town in Honduras has its ups and downs, but overall I am grateful for this experience during my first year after graduation. I am actually the fourth UPS grad to teach at Day-Star School (Anne Lenzini, UPS ’07, is currently teaching as well). Day-Star is beginning to accept applications for teachers for the 2010 – 2011 school year. Visit the school’s website and feel free to send me an email if you are interested in learning more:

All the best,
Leigh Barrick, IPE ‘09

1 comment:

Team O'D VA said...

Hi,

My daughter has been offered a job at Day-Star and we would LOVE to have the chance to talk to someone about the expeerience. If possible, could you drop me a line? My email is odonnell99 (at) cox (dot) net
Thanks a million,
David