Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Alumni Report: Rachel Moshier IPE '09 at the World Affairs Council

Hello from Seattle! My name is Rachel and I graduated last May from UPS. During the summer, I moved up to Seattle and became involved with an organization called the World Affairs Council. The World Affairs Council is a membership-based nonprofit dedicated to providing everyone opportunities to practice global citizenship. As a hub for all things international in Greater Seattle, the Council enriches local civic and cultural conversations with world insights and perspectives.

I began interning for the Council in September in the Community Programs department. As an intern, I helped plan and facilitate large speaker events that the Council sponsored. During my time interning, I worked on events for Ban Ki Moon, Nicholas Kristof, and the Iraqi Ambassador to the U.S., to name a few.

Although the Council's internships are unpaid, every staff member at the Council is dedicated to helping interns with essential professional development skills like networking, resume writing and interviewing. Also the council is connected to almost every international non-profit and several large, international businesses in Seattle providing many opportunities for informational interviews.

After interning for four months, I was hired at the Council. I now work in the International Visitor department as a Program Officer. Essentially, I arrange programming for delegation of international visitors who visit Seattle. My first group will be a delegation from Pakistan focusing on National Security and Anti-terrorism.

I have had an extremely positive experience interning and now working for The World Affairs Council and I believe that it is an organization that UPS IPE students should be aware of and embrace.

Students can apply any time for internships but our administrative team will not be reviewing applications for Summer Internships until April. My suggestion is that students apply as soon as possible and follow-up in the Spring.

Take a look at the website (
http://www.world-affairs.org/home.html) and please let me know if you have any questions or are interested in learning more.

Cheers,

Rachel Moshier, class of 2009
(picture is from May 2009, me and Mt. Kanchendzonga, India)

No comments: