Sunday, July 08, 2012

Research Blogging from Peru: Vienna Saccamanno '13

IPE major Vienna Saccamanno is in Peru working on a summer research project funded by the IPE Summer Research Fellowship program. Click here to follow her investigations on her blog.

Vienna writes that

My time in northern Peru was a success! I was able to interview several individuals who work professionally in the Peruvian mining industry as well as many others who have been distantly affected by it. I spent five days in Lima visiting non-profits and engineering firms and learned so much about the economic incentive behind mineral extraction. I was also able to visit the beautiful colonial district in downtown Lima! I then traveled to the northern city of Huaraz where I spent seven days interviewing local indivuals who have been impacted by the mining industry. It was wonderful to receive contrasting views about mineral extraction to those in Lima. I also did several day hikes to get as close as I could (without official clearance) to local mines. Luckily, these hikes were in the Huascaran National Park and I was surrounded by the most beautiful mountains in the world! Next stop: Cusco!
The IPE Summer Research Fellowships are funded by a portion of royalties from the IPE textbook project.

1 comment:

nickmwhite said...

M Vee - I'd love to hear more about where other students have gone over the summer.