When you meet with your advisor, be sure to talk about your IPE elective classes. The elective requirement for students using the 2007-2008 or later catalog is
Elective courses: Three courses (usually upper-division courses) in IPE or related disciplines. Elective courses must be pre-approved by the student’s IPE advisor in consultation with the student. A course used to satisfy this requirement may not also be used to satisfy a university core requirement. Elective classes should be chosen to:
You will need to fill out an elective approval form for each on-campus IPE elective before they will show up on your Degree Progress Report and count toward graduation. (Study Abroad courses are approved through the normal study abroad application process).
- Broaden or deepen the student’s understanding of IPE theory;
- Provide economic, political, social or historical context for analysis of important IPE issues;
- Provide specific expertise necessary for a student’s senior thesis research;
- Develop analytical tools useful in IPE research;
- Deepen knowledge of a particular country or region.
Bottom line: Check your degree progress report to see your current elective status and be sure to work with your advisor to get IPE electives officially approved.