Just received this information from MADRE and thought I'd pass it along. MV
MADRE Women's Human Rights Advocacy Fellowship
MADRE is an international women's human rights organization that works towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; in which resources are shared equitably and sustainably; in which women participate effectively in all aspects of society; and in which people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
MADRE is seeking a Women's Human Rights Advocacy Fellow to help develop and implement a strategy to advance women's human rights at the international level. The position requires a 1-year commitment on a part-time schedule and provides a $10,000 stipend as compensation. This fellowship will be located at MADRE's office in New York City. Non-U.S. citizens are welcome to apply.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
* Represent MADRE at meetings and in coalition work with other NGOs and UN contacts.
* Follow and participate in the Gender Equality Architecture Reform (GEAR) Campaign, the Beijing+15 process, and other UN processes as needed.
* Draft and submit testimony to the UN Human Rights Council.
* Conduct research for publications and program work on gender dimensions of food sovereignty and climate change; women's health and violence against women; and peace building and women's political participation.
* Develop and implement a strategy to advance women's human rights in UN processes.
* Collaborate with MADRE Program and Human Rights Advocacy staff.
* Demonstrated commitment to women's human rights and MADRE's mission.
* Strong understanding of UN system.
* Experience in international human rights advocacy at the UN or other international institution is an asset.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and 2-3 references to email@example.com. Include "Women's Human Rights Advocacy Fellow" in the subject line. The application deadline is August 31, 2009.